Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Worry Wart

When I was young I used to listen to my mom rant and rave about all the things she worried about. My brother. My sisters. Her brother. Her friends. Burglars. Car accidents. Nuclear disaster (okay, maybe not that last one). I swore to myself that I would never be a worry wart.

Fate laughs in my face now that I'm an adult. My fears aren't quite the same as hers were, at least that's what I tell myself. I worry about every bruise on my children's bodies. I worry about every stray fever that has no other symptoms. My youngest has been tested for cancer three separate times now, just because I couldn't stop worrying. Poor kid.

Cancer isn't all I worry about, though. The other night I watched a news report about young children being abducted from their beds while they slept. Guess who didn't get any sleep that night? That's right. Me.

So maybe I have turned into a worry wart after all. I do try to overcome it. One way I do that is through repeating comforting things to myself. Here is my favorite:

Philippians 4:6 "Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made unto God."
 
How do you stop your worries?

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I treat it the same.
    I'm not much of a worrier by nature, but to look at my fingernails (or lack of them) sometimes makes me wonder. Maybe I just don't worry aloud.
    Anyway, that verse from Philippians is powerful.
    I have learned I must let go of things to fold my hands together in prayer.

    ReplyDelete