Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Signs

Today marks the two year anniversary from the first day we noticed something was "wrong" with Emma.  Funny breathing.  A whistling, wheezing sound with every breath she took.  We took her to her pediatrician, where she was placed on a three day round of Prednisone.  It took care of the wheezing ASAP.  Know why?  Prednisone is used as a chemotherapy.  I believe from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet that this Prednisone helped save Emma's life.  It shrank her cancer for an extra couple of days, getting us to the place we needed to be for God to take her the rest of the way.

Looking back, I see other clear signs of a problem (unexplained fevers that came and went, constant complaints of feeling tired).  I have kicked myself time and again for not recognizing these signs of something bigger going on.

Last week at the clinic, I talked to our nurse practicioner about these things.  I told her I wasn't sorry for the way things turned out, even though if Emma's cancer had been found earlier then things certainly would have been at least a fraction easier (no ICU and comas and ventilators).  But God knew exactly where we needed to be--St. Jude--and if we would have found her cancer earlier, she most certainly wouldn't have ended up there.  I am so thankful to be a part of my St. Jude family.  Not because other hospitals aren't as good, but because St. Jude really is like a great big family.  God blessed us immensely in leading us to a place where we would be so taken care of.

If you are going throught a storm, a hard time, a rough patch--consider it, and look for the good in it.  Even if it's only a tiny good in a midst of thorns.  The good attitude will get you through.

4 comments:

  1. 'Even if it's only a tiny good in a midst of thorns. The good attitude will get you through." You're just about one of the few strongest & filled-with-faith mothers I know, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claudine. Your words mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's often easier to see God's hand in things when we look back on them than it is to recognize Him at work as we are going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Ruth! Sometimes it just takes distance.

    ReplyDelete