Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Coping Methods

Free Waterfall Screensaver 1.0People tell me all the time how well I cope with Emma's sickness.  I understand their comments, and their well-meaning.  But...I don't really like to be told how "well" I'm doing.  Sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing well at all.  Sometimes I feel like I'm falling apart!

So I decided to figure out why I come off as "coping".  I examined everything I do, and I realized that one thing that helps me work through things the most is (duh) my writing.  I am a writer.  I express myself best in the written word.  I get my negative feelings out, and then I feel better to face the world.

I don't journal, but when I'm feeling particularly strong about something I will write it down.  And then, I'm always writing other things (articles or stories, etc.).  Writing is my coping mechanism!

I think everyone needs a healthy way to cope, because while we don't all have kids with cancer, we do all have stress (especially during the holiday season!).  For some it's crafts, or exercise, or singing, or dance, or reading.  What's your coping mechanism?  If you don't have one, you should find one.  After all, if it works for me, it can work for you, too!

11 comments:

  1. Katie- can't say I've known you all that long, but I think most people aren't being as articulate as they could or should be when telling you that you're coping. I think you're thriving!

    And, for the record, you've got such a gift for writing that I wouldn't consider it a coping mechanism-- writing seems something you were born to do, and you'd probably be doing it even if Emma wasn't sick. Or, perhaps, her sickness has given you the strength to just do what you were always destined for. I am happy for you and your achievements!

    All the best. Now go thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda, that was so sweet, and it really warmed my heart. I'm lucky to have people who believe in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is usually my method of coping. I throw myself into my writing and forget my troubles for a while. We all need a break every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I know just what you mean. During the years that I was the main caregiver to two ailing parents, I often felt that writing is what kept me sane. I'm thankful that God gave me (and you) this means of coping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, singing and writing both help me. Singing lifts me out of the darkness and makes my heart soar, and writing is an outlet... I can write down whatever badness I'm feeling and "vent" to the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Kelly, breaks are good! :) I am so thankful I can write and escape. And Cat, singing is wonderful! Sometimes when I am down, I force myself to sing, and it really does lift my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, writing and reading really help me through darker times, too. As do watching heavy-themed and/or quirky films and listening to not-too-hippie-happy music that tell stories. (Quite often, a bit of melancholia makes me feel better. I don't know why!) We are all very blessed to have Writing as our coping mechanism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't cope well at all these days. Just being willing to get out of bed is the best I've been able to do lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm a new follower. Although I haven't had a kid with cancer, my husband had acute myelogenous leukemia, so I've been through some of the same experiences, although at the other end of the age spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mispellings...grrr!

    Taurean, when it's all we have to give, then we are doing our best!

    And Thelmaz, it's nice to meet you. I'm sorry you had to ride this rollercoaster, though!

    ReplyDelete